To quote Asher Roth:
"I love college."
it's a great place. for those trying to keep track of me, (shout out to my parents) here's what's been going on.
Tuesday was spent mostly doing move-in stuff (student ID and such). I waited all day for my bum roommate to show up so I could finally meet him, but he disappointed me. To this minute his sorry self remains not in Heritage Halls. His loss. There may or may not be a post introducing you to all my roommates in the near future when they all decide to show up. I went to Costco after moving my suitcases into my apartment, and bought the smallest packs of food available. (15 pack of chicken breasts, 9 lb. bag of strawberries, 4 pounds of hamburger meat). Got back to the dorm, whereupon I was visited by the good Vibram-wearing Virginia friend Sarah, went to a non-operating flower shop to visit her roommate Laura, bought an ethernet cord from the bookstore, then came home. There was a dance last night, and my big college story of the day was the Quest for the Iron. long story short, nobody in my BUILDING has an iron to borrow, nor did they have one in the central complex building for me to borrow (which a sadistic RA told me). I went to a girls dorm to ask for one (i was trying to iron a shirt for the dance) and lo and behold, first door I knocked on I scored an iron.
I figured it'd be fun to go to the dance and meet new people, but none of my roommates seemed to have the same idea. (one got his mission call yesterday and another had his final dinner with his parents. but still.) So I flew solo. Free food and such. Not such a bad gig. I met with the chorister for church sunday (i'm playing the piano) and she has about as much of a clue as to what's going on as I do, which is no clue. I met a couple people, but most importantly the guys who live in the next apartment over from me. They're pretty cool. I did dance with one chick who was rubbing my shoulder in a rather disturbing way, and ended up going to the BYU creamery with a group of random people that included a girl that was almost a carbon-copy of Tom's ex girlfriend. whoo. scary. contact information was not shared. after the creamery i came home and hung with the roomies to try and get acquainted a bit better. Day 1? alright.
Today was the first day of orientation. I woke early (0800), ate a nutella bagel, then headed off to orientation. I met a bunch of cool people from my writing class, and am getting along rather well. Today was a day full of swag in the sense of the older generation. ("swag" to the 40 plus crowd means free stuff). Got a shoebag, free lunch, 2 bananas (smoothie tomorrow morning), 2 planner-type things, a pen, and a T shirt. the campus tour was a bit drab, but the convocation was cool. nobody screamed "THIS IS GARBAGE" and left (to my knowledge). My group leader is a total goofball. it's pretty funny. Me and 2 other people in my group dipped out a couple minutes early to get a head start on some of the swag being handed out on campus. I tried not to go to the creamery to get dinner ingredients (italian chicken/lemon basil pasta) and ended up by provo high school, a solid mile and a half away from home. dark side? I spent a good hour wandering lost. good side? i now know campus a lot better, and i saw elder jeppesen on my way back home. (ended up going to the creamery anyway....dumb.) I made dinner for everyone, b/c i'm hogging all the freezer space and am trying to clear some out before roommates 5 and 6 show up. After that, I went to a pep rally. Got my picture taken as part of the Y in the bleachers. expect a postcard. after that, I walked back to my apartment with one of the girls in my group from today and took some brownies i'd made earlier today over to her roommate in the new heritage buildings. (it was her roommate's birthday. i'm just hoping for reciprocation on march the 30th.) An Eagle Scout is always prepared. anyway, the new buildings make my dorm look like the projects.
I'm sleeping soundly and eating well. when you don't know when/where your next meal will come from, you don't tend to care what you shove in your piehole. i'm now sitting drinking grapefruit soda i got at the creamery because it was only 60 cents and came in a glass bottle. it's probably mad unhealthy, but no so much as ramen maybe. plus i'm trying to be a fatty. I am yet to taste apple beer. almost bought some but it only comes in 6 packs (like all beers i suppose) and i didn't want to buy at the creamery.
Bottom line? I am alive. I am feeding myself. Sweet.
Also, the BYU cougarettes are the #1 hip-hop dance team in America. They are also all white. Irony?
the beginning of the pep rally reminded me strongly of high school musical/glee ("high school musical for adults" as someone told me last night), but that's ok because it's BYU. we shoot fireworks off for a solid 8 minutes because school is starting. Go Cougars.

No comments:
Post a Comment