12/03/2011

The 10 Day Challenge.

I need a break from my research paper.

Turns out listening to 12-tone music isn't quite the best thing to keep your brain from going nuts while working. but whatever. My paper, written on digital music piracy, almost had the quote "rent, food, cocaine, et cetera" included in it. sadly i am not tired or crazy enough at this point to include it. I will always know what an advance fund is, thanks to my father. tonights study-playlist has consisted of the thile/daves album, some ravel, and finally Arnold Schoenberg radio. since there is no tonal center in serialism, you kind of have to feel like you have an itch in your ear that you can't quite scratch the entire time while your listening to it. Serialism is music for mathematicians who want to be musicians. forreal now. pop a sequence out, transpose it, hit the retrograde, invert it, then if the audience hasn't left by then, they're either dead, deaf, or attempting to justify their being there by seeing the "deeper meaning" behind said atonal composition. Got to love it. 

 I've picked up on the 10 day challenge here. it's about "redefining beauty" and all that other feel-good crap that hippies like. whatever. it's about being fed up with what society and the media says beauty is and doing whatever you want to slap them upside the face about it. I don't think i need to say this program targets women. but this program targets women.  I guess you could say it's the whole "i'm a strong independent woman who don't need no man" mindset. more power to ya.

I have decided to take the 10 day challenge.


 Since i'm a rather outstanding individual (Meaning i like to tell myself that) i just decided to do the 10 day challenge in one night. call me an over achiever.

Day 1: "Join us for a night of yoga and body kindness in WSC 3228"
-Yoga could get a blog in and of itself. Yeah, i had to take a class in high school my sophomore year, but i went to a liberal arts school and hated it. the yoga that is. if i have to downward facing dog one more time in my life i just might stab a kitten. all yoga did for me was hurt my wrists and give me a solid 7 minute nap in corpse position. Tangent to that, i'd define "body kindness" as doing amazing stuff for myself, like taking a hot shower (hot water was off this morning, but that's what you get when you live in a building that is older than dumbledore), eating ice cream, and playing basketball. also i think i should cash in for a massage that my roommate owes me for stealing 2 of my sour patch kids earlier today. Yeah. i'm kind to my body.

Day 2: "are you gifted? tell us about your gifts."
my mom says i'm smart. i feel that i'm a genius in ways that tests can't measure. Like cities will be named after me style genius. maybe even a building on BYU campus. oh yeah. Am i gifted? i can tie my shoes all by myself despite the fact that i've refused to wear anything but slip-ons since the ninth grade. I cook myself pop tarts for breakfast every morning in the toaster without burning the apartment down. I can make pasta. Fetch yeah, I'm gifted. I'm the freaking sequel to amazing.

Day 3: "tell us all your negative thoughts. are they true?"
Well, for starters, I've got a couple fines i haven't paid off at the library. there's a negative thought for you. I also get lots of static electricity on me when i take a sweater off, and it bugs me. double negative. i think. electricity is electrons, no? not a particle physics major.

Day 4: "what internal characteristics do you want to be complimented on? think of a time you meaningfully complimented someone."
I like people to compliment my veins. they're so visible that "a drunk blind man could hit them." I also like comments on how my ribs can be seen through my shirt, and anything that compares me to a holocaust victim. I sincerely complimented someone once. The only meaningful compliment i think i give on this earth is "well, it could've been worse." be that as it may.

Day 5: "Take a risk and express yourself today. It’s okay to just say ‘no’ you don’t have to give a reason or anexcuse. Or you might say, “let me think about it and I’ll get back to
you." Disagree if you really don’t agree with someone rather than smiling
and allowing your silence to communicate agreement."
It's a good thing i live life on the edge, otherwise this would be really hard. I think my default answer to anything on this earth is "no" or "get a life," but "i would if i was a loser" is becoming pretty popular too. I'll say "no" and give you a reason because i want you to be ashamed of your stupidity. I took a risk and expressed myself yesterday. I got out of bed and stood in my kitchen shirtless drinking milk straight out of the gallon with the blinds open. And might i say that without my contacts in it becomes very hard to differentiate between whos milk is whos. andrew decided to label his in the same spot on the carton as mine, stating "andrew's milk" while i wrote my customary death threat "Drink this if you want AIDS." so i might have taken a large swig of andrew bratsman milk last night around 3. jake stopped me, thankfully, but we think that now i have drunk something that andrew owns all the women in the world will magically want me. it's the best i've got. haha.

Day 6: "find a fashion magazine, flip through it, and determine on a scale of 1-10 (7 being the highest) how unattractive you are. take a picture of a celebrity and compare yourself to it then pretend that you can be accepted for who you are in the world." (paraphrased)

Well, we are fresh out of fashion magazines in my dorm. so i settled for a google search. This is the celebrity i chose to compare myself to:

I am not a fat unshaven slob who must behave like a complete dipwad to have a successful career.

Day 7: "reflect on what makeup is to you and make your own challenge (because the people who wrote this were too lazy to) based on what you think."

As a man, I feel that makeup smells really bad. I hate it when i walk into a room and can smell it on a woman. couple that with spray tans and weird costumes and you've found yourself at a dance lab trying not to puke. My challenge will be to tell a girl that i think the smell of her makeup is about as unattractive as having a festering wound on their forehead, and then to try and vomit on said woman. can i say that it's my lifes ambition to blow chunks on someone (preferably a woman)?

Day 8: "write your body a love letter telling it how awesome it is and all the things it lets you do."


Self-addressed letters are the mark of the challenge that says "if you haven't stopped by now, you probably won't, so we're going to make you do whatever we want." I'm not feeling a need to write my body a letter because It doesn't check its mail very often.

Days 9 and 10 are pretty much repeats of other days, meaning that the program has you do the same stuff over and over.

as a small side note, the satanic BYU creamery (the only store within reasonable distance from my apartment) with its socialist agenda has jacked up the price of my beloved ELfudge cookies from 2.50 a box to 3.00 a box. this means that for every five weeks that i buy cookies, i could've had 11 boxes of cookies but instead i get 10. what cooks my grits even more is that the store pretends that the 2 for 6.00 deal is like a big sale or something. HELLO the cookies have been 2 for 5.00 for the ENTIRE SEMESTER. they must realize that i will be reverting to an all-cookie all-subway diet during finals week in an effort to not have to cook for myself until i hit virginia beach again.


Everything i do falls into 2 categories: things that i can write a raging blog post about and things that i can't.

No comments:

Post a Comment